Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The rumor of the demise of our glazes has been greatly exaggerated; and - the return of Philly Green!


I've heard lots of rumors of how we're almost out of the current glazes. While it is taking a little longer than we'd hoped to get going with our "Cindy Glazes," I cleaned and sorted all our existing glaze last night to see what's what and this is what I found.


These are glazes we still have (anything not on this list was completely dried out or just had a few cc's left :)
  • Jen's juicy
  • red orange liner
  • antique iron
  • Ernst green
  • cream breaking red
  • bone
  • temmoku gold
  • waterfall brown
  • anderson ranch red
  • black aka licorice (glossy)
  • satin matte black
  • burgundy
  • amber (I was able to revive it I think - I switched it to a smaller bucket - please feel free to check and see how it's doing and use it if it's ready! - not very much but enough for pouring)
  • tan (reviving also in a small bucket, enough for pouring - please use!)
  • woo yellow dark
  • Linda's yellow MV (? this had my handwriting on the outside it looked like but I have no idea when it appeared; I know we didn't make it with Ernst - I have no idea what it looks like)
  • spearmint
  • commercial matte white
  • commercial matte blue
  • commercial clear (the one that does not really come out clear but faintly whitish and does some pink/purple-ish --if I remem. correctly--  when it's thick)
  • clear gloss (this bucket did not look familiar to me either)

Some of them are too low to dip but still have a fair amount - many have 1/4 or 1/3 bucket still, tho a few are ones no one uses, 'tis true.

What we might do soon is another glaze poll to find out which we might go ahead and toss. I know a few are from various classes and don't really work with our cone 6 firings, etc. 

And perhaps the most exciting thing for some of you: Meredith and I mixed a new batch of Philly Green (it was the top choice from the poll of glazes you'd like to keep). It has not been tested yet but I will do test tiles tomorrow night and if anyone wants to go ahead and use it you're certainly welcome.

Also we're starting something that they do at Hartworks: glazes (of the same cone number) which are way too low to use but there is just a bit left, they pour together and have a running mixed-leftovers surprise glaze (which obviously changes from time to time as more leftovers are added, etc.) Meredith and I started one; so far it contains: leftover Philly Green, leftover commercial matte blue and "Mystery White." Look for it in a bucket labeled "Hairy Buffalo Leftover Glaze." :)  I'll do at least one test tile of it tomorrow night so we can see how it turns out with the current mix - cross your fingers!

Please do try to get in and do some glazing if at all possible; we are anxious to do some more test tiles for the Cindy Glazes and we'd like to have a full kiln if we can. There are still a lot of glazing possibilities with the choices above and Mindy ran a big bisque Sunday so there are lots of pieces anxious for glaze!

At the very least, go in and see our nice clean closet, which you can now actually walk into and thru without tripping on glaze buckets! It looks great, if I do say so myself!

5 comments:

  1. I love the surprise glaze idea . . . sounds like a super fun thing to start. I also love the name "Hairy Buffalo" :)

    The problem with the glazes is that even though it seems like there are a lot, there are only a few that have enough in the bucket to dip (or even pour) on a big piece. So, if you have a platter or something you can really only pick from a few. Although, now we have Philly Green again, YAY!

    Here are a few notes RE: the glazes.

    RED-ORANGE LINER: We don't really have this left. I loved this glaze so much that I used a brush to get every bit off the bottom I could. Then, Solveig scraped everything off the sides and added water to save what we could. So, what is left is just the "swill" mixed with some water. It turns out brown with a hint of red.

    JEN'S JUICY: Must be sponged on. Dipping, pouring, and even brushing don't work. It comes out really interesting if it is sponged on (I love it but not everyone will!) so I recommend everyone try it.

    ANDERSON RANCH RED: Nancy was the last person to try this . . . Nancy, can you report?

    LINDA'S YELLOW: This has been on the shelf for like two years. Has anyone tried it?

    COMMERCIAL CLEAR: If I remember correctly, this one is a disaster . . . has anyone tried it that can report?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge thanks Mindy for the elucidation!

    In future if something happens like with the Red Orange liner doctoring attempt, could everyone please leave notes on the glaze to explain/warn? I know we do do this on some things but we should try to make sure always to do it. If a handful of people weigh in on a glaze's having acted wacky we'll know we can just toss it (accordingly, I have just added this bucket to the patio stacks).

    Please everyone weigh in about the iffy ones above so we can keep triaging!

    Oh and Meredith and I actually intended to try to make more Red-Orange Liner the other day but we are missing one chemical. It will have to be the next Highwater run I imagine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and the Philly Green is a little too thin - Meredith and I keep skimming water off. Hopefully it will be OK by the weekend. I'm not going to do a test tile of it yet this evening due to this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anderson Ranch Red did very squirrelly things on some platters that got fired about 2 weeks ago. Not sure if it was hte glaze or hte kiln. In some places, it looked chalky, almost like it didn't get hot enough. Had a piece in matte blue that did the same thing on one side. Am trying to re-fire the platters and see if it helps at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rumor has it that the glazes looked OK this time, shards of whatever exploded in the kiln notwithstanding (but very small bits from what I heard).

    Solveig says Linda's Yellow turns out honey-mustard-sauce yellow. If it is consistent (finish/surface-wise) and we have anyone who digs that color I guess we can save it and see if people will use it up tho I'd guess it hasn't been used in ages.

    Will do the other poll soon so we can maybe get even more specific info on each glaze...

    Commercial clear turns faintly pink wherever it's a bit thicker, and it's not exactly totally clear anyway. That's all I know about it.

    ReplyDelete